June 7, 2012

Philadelphia Trip: Day 2

On our second day in Philadelphia we decided to go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art instead trying to catch the historic places we missed the previous day. Out in front of the museum we saw the Rocky statue and Emily and I posed with him. Casia refused. She said, "He's a boxer. I don't like boxing." I tried to convince her that he's not just a boxer, he's an American classic, the underdog. I even tried to bribe her by telling her I'd let her watch the movie if she'd pose with me, but no dice.  






They had the Van Gogh exhibit while we were there, 
but we weren't able to get tickets for it and once I saw the line 
waiting to get into the exhibit I was glad.

Seriously, the pool was ankle deep,
and yet you know that if there was a sign for it,
it's because someone has tried it before. 



The facade of the museum was gorgeous. Casia and I enjoyed taking pictures of the building.

View of Philadelphia from the museum entrance.
 My favorite part about the Philadelphia Museum of Art was the decor of the exhibit rooms. They were decorated from the country and time period of the art that was displayed there. I have been to many very nice art museums in NYC, Chicago, etc., but this was the reason why Philly's is my favorite.


Japanese Art


They had a very interesting video demonstrating a traditional tea ceremony.


16th century French Art (decorated like Louis XVI's palace)

16th century English art (Tudor style room)

Early 20th century New York Penthouse


Casia asked me why they had tooth brush holders in an art museum.
That gave me a good laugh.

Emily was a good sport and posed for me with a lot of the statues.






I love Monet, so I took pictures of some of his paintings that I saw.




This was Casia's expression when she saw this painting,
 followed by her question, "Why would anyone want to paint a
 bunch of naked boys playing in a stream?"


2 comments:

  1. Love that final photo of your daughter and the 'naked boys playing in a stream.' Hee hee hee! And, again, I think I'm headed to Philadelphia this fall... it looks like a wonderful place for a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philly is a great city. Two days wasn't enough to do all the things we wanted so I'm sure you'll find lots to do.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete