April 27, 2011

Back from Break

I remember a day in junior high being called down to the principal's office. I was sure I wasn't in trouble, but I never expected what was waiting for me there that day. I entered the office and saw my mom, signing me out of school for an appointment she almost forgot about. When we got settled into the car, she turned to me and told me she was taking the day off of work and going to the mall, did I want to come, too? Um, leave school in the middle of the day to go shopping, YES! We had a blast together, got something to eat, did a little shopping and had a chance to catch up, just the two of us. I remember that day so fondly, and cherish that memory more than any other day of junior high. And I learned something that day as well, but it definitely falls under a life lesson and not an academic one. It is good to step away from the stresses of daily life every once and awhile and give yourself a treat. It's good for the mind, the soul and the body. 

My mom never took me out of school for a surprise again, but I would very infrequently make use of these 'Mental Health' days to recharge when I was feeling overwhelmed, overextended or burnt out. Sometimes there would be a day I just didn't feel up to going to school. Maybe I had a lot on my plate emotionally, maybe I just needed a change of pace, whatever the reason, if I felt I needed it, I would ask my mom to sign a note for school saying I was sick. I never abused my mother's good will in this manner, and I was always a responsible student, never taking off a day because of tests or projects. I fondly remember those days home alone, relaxing and reading, and recharging for my return to the world. And I've always appreciated my mother recognizing my ability to judge when I needed this time and her willingness to support it.

When we made the decision to move, it was a very emotional experience for Casia. She is not a person that takes to change easily. She gets very attached to things and places and was devastated to be leaving the only home she'd ever lived in. Unfortunately, it took us several months to sell our house and then there was the packing and moving. All of this drew out the process making it even more painful for Casia. There were several days that Casia was emotionally not up to focusing on school work and it was especially on these days that I was glad we were homeschooling. I told her about the story of my mom taking me out of school for a 'Mental Health' day and allowed Casia to take a day off here and there as well. Sometimes, just having a few hours to herself, with her brother at school, her dad at work and me off doing my own thing, Casia was able to calm down and be ready to work again.

With the time taken for the actually moving, plus holidays, a February vacation and several of these 'Mental Health' days, Casia has missed some school. For this reason, when Garrett had all of last week off for Easter break, I felt it was better for Casia to at least make up some of the lost time. So I made a compromise with her. If she spent the morning focused and concentrating on work, she could have after lunch and on through the afternoon to wander the neighborhood with her friends. 

This worked fine for Monday. She started with math, typing and reading and then went out to play. Tuesday, we all got a late start and the neighborhood kids came knocking at the door even earlier. So I gave in that day. By Wednesday, even Jacob didn't see the point in trying to get any school work done. So I caved. That entire week of half-days ended up being just Monday morning. I was disappointed in myself at first, feeling that it was my resolve that had failed. But when I look over the past week, the kids had a ton of fun playing outside and with friends, and we all were feeling refreshed and ready to work this past Monday morning. It reminded me of the lesson I learned that day back in junior high: sometimes you just have to take off and leave the work behind, for a short while, so that you can come back even more prepared, mentally and physically, to tackle what life has in store for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment