March 23, 2012

Geometry

It's always a little embarrassing when my ten year-old has to tell me how to use the software program to which we subscribe. I use ALEKS for Casia's math and she recently showed me how, instead of making up my own test questions and typing them up, I can have ALEKS automatically generate a quiz based on recent topics covered. Wow, that's been a real time saver. I wonder if Casia ever wonders how I manage on my own. 

This morning, Casia announced to me that after the assessment she just finished, ALEKS shows she has completed 93% of the Geometry curriculum. She estimates that in two more weeks, she should be finished and ready to move on to something else. I think she's giving me a heads-up so I can figure out what she'll be doing next. 

One of the benefits of homeschooling Casia is the ability to tailor the curriculum to her needs. This is especially the case with math. Casia has always picked up math concepts quickly. She flew through elementary mathematics and started a middle school course when she was seven years-old. She finished up high school algebra in January and just two months ago began Geometry. I really thought she would be working through the coursework until June. But her love of geometry has helped her to move faster than anticipated. I love that my annual subscription allows me to move her to whichever course I think she's ready for and she can take it slowly or quickly, and there's no added charge or extra books to buy. I also appreciate that we don't have to keep to the traditional school schedule where I need to worry about stopping and starting points. We pretty much homeschool all year around. So I think I'l have her take the course Algebra II with Trig and we'll see how long that will last her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment